As kids grow, they begin to learn how to sit, crawl, stand and walk. They are taught how to sit upright, how to walk with their head up, basically to carry and balance their body. All these are carried out in a bid to ensure they develop good posture. Many factors come into play in ensuring we stay physically and mentally healthy.
There’s ensuring we carry out enough exercise, diet which must contain the right combination of nutrients to nourish our bodies, then ensuring we get enough sleep to keep us well rested and there’s also body posture.
Good body posture enables one to align properly and balance the body while walking, sitting, standing, and even sleeping. It helps to balance and maintain the structure of various body organs, joints, and muscles. Poor body posture has a great adverse effect on our health, so we are taught to cultivate good posture as kids. Good body posture offers the following benefits:
- Reducing The Possibility Of Neck And Back Pain: One major cause of back and neck pain is poor body posture because it causes stress on your body muscles and ligaments, in fact poor body posture has been discovered to be the cause of back pains suffered by 80% of American population at one point in time of their lives. Thus people who have poor body posture are more likely to suffer from neck and lower back pain. These pains can often be improved or even eliminated by simply improving our general body posture. A good sitting posture also helps in ensuring your spine stays healthy.
- Towels: Tieing a towel around your hands or legs works as effectively as a resistance band used in gym workouts. Towels also serve as sliders by placing them under the feet and hands to achieve maximum results when carryout your plank jacks. Towels can also serve as mats for carrying out yoga at home. You see, your simple bath towel serves multiple purposes when it comes to carrying out exercises at home.
- Improves Confidence: Observe confident people around you, observe how they walk, sit, and stand, what do they all have in common? Confident people are usually found with their heads held up high; they sit in an upright manner. A good posture greatly improves your confidence and helps reducing anxiety. You tend to more assertive, and you exude confidence when others see you.
- Increased Concentration And General Mood: Have you ever noticed or caught yourself slouching when you feel sad or are simply in a bad mood? It would surprise you that maintaining a good posture aids in improving general mood because your body feels more relaxed and you are better able to manage stress and not be irritated by little things and occurrences around you. Sitting upright during a class is shown to improve the general concentration of students. According to an investigation conducted by Colorado College, it showed that students with better body posture tend to score in examinations and tests than those with poor body posture.
- Ensure Alignment And Balance Of The Body: Maintaining good posture helps keep your body structure properly aligned so that all organs can function properly. The stomach and the lungs need enough space to carry out their functions of respiration and digestion, a bad posture distorts their positioning, and they are less able to function, a good posture on the other aids aid these functions.
- Better Night Rest: Aside from the fact that a bad posture may cause your body agonizing pains, keep you up all through the night. When you lay in an uncomfortable position, you are less likely to sleep for longer hours, therefore maintaining a good posture eliminates all these problems enabling you to get a proper night’s rest.
There are numerous benefits that a good body posture offers to both our physical and mental health. If you observe that you’ve maintained a bad posture until now, it is not too late to make a change and begin to cultivate good body posture or contact us @westchestermedicalhealthcare.com or call: (347)851-6633. Remember, A good body posture improves the general quality of life.