As the holiday season begins, everyone is getting ready to reunite with their families. However, with the world still battling COVID-19, traveling during this period must be done with great care and extreme caution. More than ever, you must ensure you take the proper measures to protect yourself and your families.
As you consider whether or not to make that holiday trip, here are a few things to consider:
- Number of Coronavirus cases in your travel destination: You need to check if the location you are traveling to has a high number of COVID-19 cases and if it’s a high-risk location. If it is, this may increase your chances of contracting the virus, so traveling with your family may not be a good idea.
- Do your age and medical record put you at a high risk of contracting the virus?
- Know Your COVID-19 Status: One of the most important steps to take, especially prior to air travel, is to get yourself and your family tested. This will help keep your family and others on the flight safe.
- Obtain And Prepare Your Travel Safety Equipment: Make sure you and your family have all the required and suggested safety gear, including your facemask, hand sanitizer, and gloves. Ensure that your mask is not too loose and is in proper working condition.
- Prep Yourself: If you are traveling by road, you need to prepare yourself physically and mentally for the trip. During these times, it’s advised to plan ahead to determine where to take your bathroom breaks. Packing food and drinks before you leave is also recommended to minimize stopping to purchase these items.
- Pick An Early Date To Travel: Airports and bus stations are generally busiest during the holiday season, so choosing an earlier date to travel may help you avoid the rush.
- Pack Lightly: Take only the essentials on your trip this holiday season. This will save you from the inconvenience of having to check your luggage, which saves a lot of time and minimizes contact with large groups of people. It is also advisable to ship items directly to your travel destination when purchasing gifts online; this will help reduce the load you will have to take on your travel.
The utmost care must be taken to ensure your safety and the safety of everyone you will be traveling with during this year’s holiday season. There are safety protocols and guidelines laid out to ensure everyone’s safety as the world battles COVID-19. If you notice any COVID symptoms or are feeling sick, it’s best to avoid traveling altogether. As always, you can contact us for urgent medical care and advice at www.westchestermedicalhealthcare.com during the holidays or come to any one of our health centers in the Bronx. Stay safe!